Re: [K12OSN] login question

Jonathan Bartlett wrote:

On Fri, 27 Dec 2002, Aaron Leininger wrote:

Sounds intriguing but I wouldn't even know where to begin. Doesn't a linux
OS require that some user is logged in in order to authenticate file use?

It depends on what you mean by "logged in". Yes, you have to be identified as a particular user, buy that doesn't necessarily mean going through a login screen. For example, I have a project which babsically turns old laptops into serial terminals. It just boots Linux and runs minicom as root. Since processes spawned from init are run by root by default anyway, this is simple - no login or anything, it just boots into the application.

Here is a similar solution, that provides a complete desktop to a Diskless Terminal.

http://www.dnalounge.com/backstage/src/kiosk/

I am researching building a module for K12LTSP using this system. It is my hope that we can make a simple change in /etc/dhcpd.conf and then have that terminal boot as a dedicated kiosk.

/steve