[K12OSN] Fwd: Praise and Questions episode 2

Only semi-important is that when the university set up this lab some time
ago, the put 26 Windows 98 boxes straight onto the university lan with no
protection, no router, nothing.  I need to throw a firewall in there, but the
LAN refuses to see my Linux boxes.  I can put in the exact same DNS, Gateway,
Cache server, etc... as a windows machine, but get nothing.  I cannot ping
anything out of our room.  Windows, however, can talk to the gateway, DNS,
and out to the internet.  I immediately thought about some windows specific
protocol, like netbeui (SP?).  Lo and behold, if I disable the VPN support on
their NIC, they don't work either.
So I talked to our IT department, and they said they have a company handle
their LAN.  So I called them and they claim they are using straight TCP/IP.
I don't know how that can be.  After about six hours of phone calls I
discovered they use a router/switch which uses Layer-4 and SecureFast to
divide the university into two virtual networks.
I need some ideas about how to proceed.  Even what questions to ask would be
helpful.
Sorry for all the posts today...there'll be one more
Dan