Re: [K12OSN] squid no_cache statement

Mark Orenstein wrote:

> Hi Eric,
>
> Thanks once again.  However, I'm a little confused.  From reading, I thought
> that always_direct had to do only with bypassing proxy peering (which we
> don't use).  I thought that squid always checked its local cache first and
> if it had a hit, then it would not go to either a peer or direct.  That's
> why I was looking at no_cache.  The requirement for the application that we
> will be using is that its pages are always retreived from its site rather
> than any cache.

A better approach might be to have the application (I assume the app is
on the server side from the way you describe it) produce HTTP headers that
disallow caching.  From the Squid docs:

  12.23 How come some objects do not get cached?

  To determine whether a given object may be cached, Squid takes many things into
  consideration. The current algorithm (for Squid-2) goes something
  like this:

This would prevent caching from any cache, rather than depending on the
setup of the individual cache software (at least theoretically.)

-Don

--
Don Christensen       Senior Software Development Engineer
djc cisco com         Cisco Systems, Santa Cruz, CA