Re: [K12OSN] 3com ISA NIC Booting

The problem booting a LT client with the 3com 3C509B-TPO ISA NIC is
apparently not PC specific.

It appears that the tftp ROM floppy disk image is good but that it's choking
when it's pulling over the kernel.  The message appears that while PCI cards
are detected and automatically configured, ISA cards must be manually
identified in the dhcpd.conf file.  I tried to do so with option-129 in that
file without success.  I cannot get the ISA NIC to boot regardless of the PC
that I put it in.

Again, this configuration was working under the K12LTSP 1.1 distro but not
under 2.0.  I haven't determined the difference at this point but I did
notice that in the kernel config file that ISA PNP is configured as a module
and not compiled into the kernel, could this possibly be the
difference/problem?

On another note with the Compaq Prolinea 466 (which makes a decent terminal
when it works) using the 3com PCI 3C900-TPO NIC I needed to create a new ROM
image from http://www.rom-o-matic.org/  enabling the following option to get
it to remote boot:

    CONFIG_PCI_DIRECT (define this for PCI BIOSes that do not implement
BIOS32 or not correctly)

Using this ROM image the client booted perfectly.

I know I'm not the only one out there using the previously mentioned 3com
ISA NIC, anybody else got any ideas?

BTW, be sure to set the XSERVER option in lts.conf to XF86_SVGA if you are
using the Cirrus Logic gd543x video chip.  It works great under K12LTSP 2.0
without the need for a custom XF86CONFIG file (Yeeeeah!).

Thanks,

James