[K12OSN] fixed NFS sort of....

Hi all,

Well I succeeded in getting the home directory to export from my Redhat
server to my K12LTSP server.  I found the problem to be the firewall rules
on eth1 on the LTSP box.  I got around this by reinstalling it and
choosing "no firewall".  Earlier I had "tailed" the server when it made
it's request to mount to the Redhat server.....the Redhat server
authenticated, but then nothing happened and the request timed out on the
LTSP box.  I stumbled upon the cure when I was dubbing around with the
firewall using webmin.  I have achieved what I set out to do and that was
to share /home from one server to the LTSP box.  The Redhat server also
runs SAMBA and Netatalk whihc allows me to use the same /home dir for all
platforms and keeps the LTSP box free for me to tweak and play with
without risking user data.  So what next?  I'm sure that choosing "no
firewall" was probably not my smartest option...what could I have done
differently?  Also has anyone written a script to rsync the
/etc/passwd..../etc/groups...and /etc/shadow  files to the other server?
I've never used rsync so I had to copy them manually.  Last but not
least.....if I ever had to redo a server and I wanted to preserve user
data, users, passwords, and so forth....other than the home
directories....what other files are necessary for me to save/backup.  This
would also be helpful in a quick backup situation.  Thanks for your help
guys!  Now I'm anxiously awaiting the start of a new fiscal year so I can
buy my "beast" of a server and get this project into full production.  I
psyched!

David N. Trask
Technology Teacher/Coordinator
Vassalboro Community School