Re: [K12OSN] 3com ISA NIC Booting

Jim:

Thanks!  That was the perfect pointer for getting the ISA 3C509B-TPO NIC to
work with LTSP 3.0!  Here's the modifications for anyone who's interested:

Add the following two lines after the "option root-path" in /etc/dhcpd.conf

option option-128 code 128 = string;
option option-129 code 129 = text;

...and a section as follows also in dhcpd.conf to get the client to boot
with the ISA NIC in question:

 host ws004 {
    hardware ethernet     00:A0:24:A3:14:19;
    option option-128     e4:45:74:68:00:00;
    option option-129     "NIC=3c509";
    }

Easy enough and it works perfectly.  A quick "service dhcpd restart" from
the command line and away we boot...

If anyone is interested:
    hardware ethernet = MAC address of the NIC
    option-128 = Crucial line for EtherBoot, enter it exactly
"e4:45:74:68:00:00"
    option-129 = ISA NIC driver in question

Now I am wondering how or if I can get the Cirrus Logic gd543x video chip to
run under XFree86 4.x instead of 3.x?  At any rate I still think it's great
that setting XSERVER to XF86_SVGA that it will automatically set up the
Xconfig file for you as opposed to writing a custom file.  Very nice...

Thanks!

James Jensen
jmsjnsn linuxfreemail com