[K12OSN] Warning to users of Ximian's RedCarpet - gdm update gives greyscreen of X

I run Ximian's RedCarpet every week or so to keep my RedHat 7.1 system
current. This morning's update included an updated gdm, which
unfortunately broke my LTSP 3 setup. All the workstations were left
sitting at the 'grey screen of X' - grey background with an X cursor,
but no login prompt.

The solution was:

/etc/X11/gdm/gdm.conf
[xdcmp]