Re: [K12OSN] Couple of questions

On Mon, 25 Feb 2002, David Trask wrote:

> Also has anyone written a script to rsync the
> /etc/passwd..../etc/groups...and /etc/shadow  files to the other server?

Don't forget /etc/gshadow

Yes - it is straightforward -- but if you use a cron process
and ssh keyed access, the central push host needs to make sure
it is not pushing zero size files around -- and to be
unquestionably secure.

Also all package installs then need to be made first at the
central server, as some packages add user and group ID;s

Ditto all passwd account locks and unlocks need to happen
centrally.

chage is your friend -- so also  pwck  is a good friend.  (I
have an open bug on pwck, but it is still my friend)

Finally, creation of home directories, and deletion of homes
and mail spool files need to be attended to based on a
periodic reading of the passwd file -- there is a variable in

   /etc/login.defs

helping diferentiating System and user login ID's so you do
not inadvertently clobber a system userid.

-- Russ Herrold