[K12OSN] encrypting passwords

Title: encrypting passwords

Hi folks:

I want to set up an ftp server that uses groups which aren't anonymous and don't have real accounts.  The group account will log in, provide a password, and then be sent to the home directory (e.g., /homework/) for that particular group.  I've looked at both wuftpd and proftpd but neither seems to provide an internal method for crypting passwords when the admin sets up the group.  Can anyone recommend an ftp server that does this, much like the Windows program Serv-U does?  That is, without the hassle of running a separate Perl script to encrypt the password?

Thanks,
Max