Re: [K12OSN] 2nd Basic Question

James,

Changing the server to run in character mode means shutting down
the display manager (XDM,KDM or GDM).

You need a display manager running, to give your workstations
a login window.

So, you can enable the display manager and tell it NOT to run X
on the console.

It depends on which display manager you are running.

If it is KDM or XDM, then you just need to edit the
/etc/X11/xdm/Xservers file and comment out the line for
the local Xserver.

If you are running GDM, then you need to look at the bottom
of the /etc/X11/gdm/gdm.conf file, and there is an entry
there for local Xservers that you need to comment out.

Then, start your display manager.

Jim McQuillan
jam Ltsp org