Re: [K12OSN] SquidBlock Community Idea

On Sat, 29 Jun 2002, Warren Togami wrote:

>Hi folks,
>
>I had an idea to create a community website with PHP and MySQL that would
>allow users to create accounts and submit URL's for inclusion into a
>squidGuard blacklist.  I envision this to have the following features:

I started work on such a project a while ago, but never got around to
making it work. The benefits were just not great enough for me to justify
the efforts at the time - it eventually died of attrition.

I do REALLY like the ability to pick-and-choose who I pull my updates from,
having a database that I could run queries against would be great!  I could
pull down full list from sources I trust, and selectively pull from sources
I don't trust.

I do this on a course-grained scale now, I've had really great results pulling
down the full blacklists from Toulouse & Pfaffenhofen:

  ftp://ftp.univ-tlse1.fr/pub/reseau/cache/squidguard_contrib/blacklists.tar.gz
  http://www.bn-paf.de/filter/de-blacklists.tar.gz

(I also pull in this list: http://oii.org/html/porn-napping.shtml)

There have been a couple other lists that I have pulled down in the past
where the quality has not been adequite for my purposes: too many "cnn.com"'s
and "msn.com"'s blocked which make my users grumpy (which in turn makes me
grump!).

This is by far the best "feature" of SquidGuard/Dan's Guardian, the ability
to switch "blacklist vendors" without having to switch technologies, re-
design the network, buy new servers, etc, etc. Just make a quick tweak to
a shell script and move on with life ;-)

-Eric