Re: [K12OSN] Fw: Squid is slow

On Sat, 29 Jun 2002, Caleb Wagnon wrote:

>This gentleman has the same setup as I do except my squid box is a separate
>server for the entire district and the terminals use it just like any other
>machine does. His is on the same server is the only difference I see. He's
>using the same thinknic terminals as I am. 100mb, 266, 64mb ram. All his
>other traffic is fine, his terminals are fast I'm assuming. When he bypasses
>the proxy it is quick, but when he uses that proxy it's slow. I reall ythink
>its something in his settings somehow. I'll try to get him to mail me his
>squid.conf.

It sounds like a DNS problem to me. Have him log onto the console on the
proxy server and do a lookup of something like google ("host google.com").
If that takes a long time (especially if it takes approx. 30 seconds) or fails
completely, it's almost definately a DNS problem. Have him double check that
/etc/resolv.conf is set the same as a server that is known to work well.

-Eric