Re: [K12OSN] Accessing local CD rom drives

On Mon, 1 Jul 2002, Bert Rolston wrote:

>Hi all,
>
>Things are going along swimmingly here.
>
>Thanks to Andy Payne and Eric for the e-mails on local floppy disk accessing.
>
>Can a similar method be used for accessing local CD-ROM drives?
>
>I have some areas where local CD's will be useful.
>
>Then all I have to do is figure out how to access the local FDDs and CDs from the Win4Lin sessions :-)
>
>Thanks,
>Bert

I'm pretty sure that method won't work with CDROMs.

I know that CDROMs can be used with the network block device (nbd). On the LTSP
download page (http://sourceforge.net/project/showfiles.php?group_id=17723),
way down at the bottom under "Floppy Access" you'll find a ltsp_nbd.tar.gz
file which contains a HOWTO.

Packaging up the nbd is on my todo-list. It's pretty tricky, if anyone
figures out a decent way to roll this out let me know ;-)

-Eric