Re: [K12OSN] toast

Liz Young wrote:
On Friday 05 July 2002 07:03 am, Kirk Rheinlander wrote:

M$Publisher is a unique file format (surprise!), and to the best of
my knowledge, nothing reads and writes that format except Publisher.

IF the question is that of creating complex layouts for documents (at
least from a WYSIWYG editor - i.e. Framemaker/Pagemaker/Quark type
stuff), then the only LINUX option I currently know of is GoBe
Productive, and absolutely superb (according to the reviews...

snip

A (free) project under development is Scribus. http://web2.altmuehlnet.de/fschmid/about.html

"Scribus is a Layout program for Linux®, similar to Adobe® PageMaker, QuarkXPress or Adobe® InDesign, except that it is published under the GNU GPL."

Free is good! Thanks! I'll keep an eye on that one.

Still, if I can do spreadsheets and word processing in one, still having page layout control, and even make presentations, all with an Appleworks-like-easy-to-use interface, maybe it would be worth ponying up the $75 (soon to be $125) - and still have Word/Excel compatibility. All this assumes that one needs something more than what they can get with OpenOffice. Impress is, well....impressive. Wonder if that would work for text layout....awhhh still a kludge to try anything complicated.

Kirk