[K12OSN] C Spot run...

I'm in disbelief...
And, kind of exasperated.
I downloaded several applications (Scribus, as discussed earlier and Gaby, a small database program, couple others) and have tried to install them to no avail.
I've been working on this all weekend.
Wanna know why?  Because apparently there is no C compiler on my machine.
Now, I installed all the devtools that came with the CD set.  I am just boggled that gcc or something isn't here.  I went back into the CD set looking to see if I had somehow missed it on install, but nope, not there.
So, I have downloaded gcc and tried to install it.  It required 3 additional libraries, which I have since located and downloaded.  Not installed, however, as the glibc-devel libraries ared asking for old kernel headers, which I can't install because I have a newer kernel...
I tried both older and newer versions of the glibc-devel, nope.
Appears as though I have hit a brick wall.  I can't install any programs written in C or C++...this is crazy!
I'm lost here....Shouldn't I be able to compile programs written in C  and C++ without all this hassle?  Why wasn't a C compiler included in the devtools?
Why is it appreantly impossible to install gcc now?  Is it me?
What to do now?!

Tony

http://www.School-Library.net
Read, Connect, Learn!