[K12OSN] RE: K12OSN digest, Vol 1 #279 - 11 msgs

> MI/X is available (FREE!) as an X server on OS9 or earlier.

Would you have a link to this by chance?

> I suppose it would be theoretically possible to run LTSP on a Mac-Linux
> server, probably with some significant work.

I am more wondering if it would be possible to build a linux distro for the
Mac hardware that will install enough of a local linux system on the mac to
mount a remote file system via nfs, and then bring up the rest of the ppc
thin client from the NFS share.  This would give many older macs a new life.
As far ar running LTSP on a MAC, I think it would be a waste or resources,
as it would take a G3 or G4 to do it. As a LTSP CLIENT (running linux and X
and logging into the /standard/ K12LTSP server), I think it would be the
best possible use of many older macs.

> Yellow Dog Linux HQ is about 5 miles from my house, so maybe I can run
> over there and talk to them about it.

I wonder if YDG has a thin client already done that could be modified for
this. While it would add one more layer of administration, it would likely
be worth the trouble to be able to reuse so many macs.

> Kirk

Steven Santos

Internet Email	: Steven stevensantos com
WorldWideWeb	: www.stevensantos.com
Postal Address	: PO Box 620753
                	  Newton, MA 02462