RE: [K12OSN] DCOP

Hi Caleb,

I found out part of the resolution after I sent this.

I carried out a search on Google. This problem occurs quite a bit.

The KDE website has a FAQ which covers exactly this issue. Here's the URL.

http://www.kde.org/documentation/faq/install.html#id2840270

The problem appears to be broken symlinks.

My soultion was delete the effected users and recreate them.

I tried deleting the suggested files, but this created a problem with the
sound server. In my case it was quicker and easier to delete and recreate
the effected users ( no user data to back up at this stage ).

So there it is.

================
What caused my problem?

I cleaned up some files in /tmp and changed permissions to /tmp. SILLY BOY!

This temporarly munted my access to x sessions, even on the file server. It
would go to runlevel 5, x would fail to start then the whole system would
drop back to runlevel 3.

Needless to say I was messing my pants yesterday afternoon when I headed
home. Brown britches were definitely the order of the day.

After permissions were re-instated the whole shooting match had a hernia
with all users, except myself, root, and my Win4Lin configuration group.

I may know my way around Netware, and to a lessr extent NT, but I'm still a
babe when it comes to *nix!

Well all babes stumble as they learn to walk.................mommy I hurt
my bottom!

Cheers all,
Bert

"Insanity is doing the same thing over and over again, but expecting a
different result."