Re: [K12OSN] amusing, for sure

On Tue, 9 Jul 2002, anthony baldwin wrote:

>Well,
>I think you'll get a kick out of this one...
<snip>
>libpopt.so.0 : cannot open shared object file: no such file or directory"

The correct answer here, of course, is "don't do that" ;-)

The second-place answer is to "make SURE you have good, solid, current
backups", when things blow-up you can break out the backup tapes and
restore.

In Third place is "try doing 'unusual' things to a test box and verify it
works flawlessly before doing on your production box"

Since none of these help you in your current situation, here's a few things
to try *just* *before* you give up and do a full re-install.

----

Just to repeat my warning, the things I'll show you how to do here can muck
up your system even worse. It *probably* won't make things worse, but it
*could*. Do not try any of this unless you're so desperate that you're about
to reinstall anyways... as the old saying goes "there be dragons here" ;-)

First, you might be able to get away with booting off your install discs
and selecting "Upgrade". That *might* fix your broken & missing libraries.
I've never been stuck in this particular problem before, and as such have
never tried this "fix". It shouldn't make things worse if it doesn't fix
the problem, as such it is probably fairly safe to try.

The next hack is to use the command-line rpm binary to force re-install
the messed up popt rpm (which contains the missing libpopt.so library).
The command-line rpm binary is usually statically linked. That means it
should work, even if you've mucked up your dynamic libraries (as you've
done here).

Try force re-installing the popt RPM from the command line (don't use any
of the gui tools, you're gonna have to use the /bin/rpm binary in specific)

	/bin/rpm -ihv --force /mnt/cdrom/RedHat/RPMS/popt-1.*rpm

(assumning that the correct Red Hat install disc is mounted on /mnt/cdrom, of
 course)

If that works, it should clear up the "libpopt.so" missing errrors.

If that doesn't work, here's a more drastic method you can use if you have
another Linux box handy.... (mount the Red Hat install disc which has popt-*
on /mnt/cdrom)

	# NOTE: this is done on a second, fully functional Linux box
	mkdir ~/hack
	cd ~/hack
	rpm2cpio /mnt/cdrom/RedHat/RPMS/popt-1* | cpio -id
	tar cvzf ~/popt.tgz *

Now you copy the popt.tgz file from the second Linux box to your broken Linux
box, in the root (/) directory, and run:

	# NOTE: we're back on the broken Linux box again
	cd /
	tar xvzf popt.tgz
	ldconfig

If you do get the "libpopt.so" error out of the way, you might immediately
run into another missing or broken library. Lather, rinse, repeat.

-Eric