Re: [K12OSN] amusing, for sure

On Tue, 9 Jul 2002, Eric Harrison wrote:

> First, you might be able to get away with booting off your install discs
> and selecting "Upgrade". That *might* fix your broken & missing libraries.
> I've never been stuck in this particular problem before, and as such have
> never tried this "fix". It shouldn't make things worse if it doesn't fix
> the problem, as such it is probably fairly safe to try.

I have -- It does not work -- The RPM database is consulted,
and if it thinks a later version than it needs is installed,
it skips that (from the CD earlier or equal) package in an
'upgrade.  There is no --force 'ed reinstall option of a
package in the base Anaconda installer.  A later version may
work.  But that would be the good fortune pixies smiling ...

> The next hack is to use the command-line rpm binary to force re-install
> the messed up popt rpm (which contains the missing libpopt.so library).
> The command-line rpm binary is usually statically linked. That means it
> should work, even if you've mucked up your dynamic libraries (as you've
> done here).
>
> Try force re-installing the popt RPM from the command line (don't use any
> of the gui tools, you're gonna have to use the /bin/rpm binary in specific)
>
> 	/bin/rpm -ihv --force /mnt/cdrom/RedHat/RPMS/popt-1.*rpm

Should work -- 99 times out of 100, the use of --nodeps and
--force are the wrong solution, but here (having decided to
give up the protection of RPM's package integrity and
dependency management previously) there is little downside.

> If that doesn't work, here's a more drastic method you can use if you have
> another Linux box handy.... (mount the Red Hat install disc which has popt-*
> on /mnt/cdrom)
>
> 	# NOTE: this is done on a second, fully functional Linux box
> 	mkdir ~/hack
> 	cd ~/hack
> 	rpm2cpio /mnt/cdrom/RedHat/RPMS/popt-1* | cpio -id
> 	tar cvzf ~/popt.tgz *

Probably not needed -- rpm and rpm2cpio are static linked for
just this kind of social situation.  The first aproach should
cure the problem.

Another approach would be to mount each Red Hat CD in turn in
/mnt/cdrom, and run a program like this:

cd /mnt/cdrom
for i in `ls ./RedHat/RPMS/*rpm`; do
	rpm -Fvh --nodeps --force $i
done
cd ..

and cycle through all the install CD's in turn.  The -F
option will not re-install packages not already present, and
has the effect which the proposed Upgrade would, but with the
benefit that it DOES force application of binaries thought
already to be good.

-- Wipe and reinstall, after saving important content looks
like the best course to me.

Good Luck.

-- Russ Herrold