Re: [K12OSN] Dual boot to LTSP?

I'll try answer that for you

> 1.  Can the machines be set up to boot off of the LTSP server over
> the LAN without affecting the Windows setup on the HD?

If your using the rom's from www.rom-o-matic.net you can configure the rom
to boot from hard drive /network first, and a default timeout for how long
the user has before loading either

Would the use
> of a boot rom floppy when desiring Linux be the easiest way to do
> this? Or is there better way?

If your LTSP is "proper" in a working environment then get bootable nic's /
flash the nic etc, see other documentation on this, if you are just
trialling the LTSP - you'll be hooked if you get the damned display manager
to work - then just use floppys

> 2.  These Windows machines already received their IPs via a
> centralized DHCP server.  Assuming that we want to leave these
> machines plugged in to the existing LAN, how do we configure the
> workstations to get their DHCP numbers?  Not from the LTSP server,
> but from the LAN DHCP server, right?  If so, do we turn off DHCP
> services on the LTSP server?  How then does the workstation know to
> pull the kernel, apps, etc. via TFTP from the LTSP server?  What
> other sorts of changes need to be made to the LTSP server?
> Workstations?

Simply move your DHCP to the Linux server, - you wont lose any functionality
from moving from an NT dhcp.
if you've ever used webmin, you'll find out how easy it is to add dhcp
clients, you can set the client to boot its files from any machine, (not
neccesarily the dhcp server), and boot any image that it can find,
(providing its publiclly accessible).
There are a few more things in DHCP, such as gateways, etc, but you can
figure bye trial and error.

James

---