From: k12osn-admin redhat com [mailto:k12osn-admin redhat com] On Behalf
Of Mike Rambo
Sent: Wednesday, July 10, 2002 4:53 AM
To: k12os list
Subject: [K12OSN] can I authenticate ltsp users against win2000AD?

Hey all,

I guess the subject pretty much asks the question. I am (sadly) in a
school district which has become very much Microsoft centric. They have,
over the last year or so, implemented a Windows 2000 Active Directory
infrastructure (although they have yet to get it work as it should -
we're on our fourth outside consultant now).

We currently have a lab that is running wfw3.11 on old 486's. They are
talking about putting Citrix in that lab. My supervisor, being more open
to non-M$ solutions than the rest of the IT staff, has asked me whether
I can make LTSP work with the building infrastructure well enough that
he can propose that as a solution for this lab.

What happens is that each student, at the beginning of the year, uses
their student number to register with the 2000AD setup to obtain their
username (usually their student number) and password. They can then
(theoretically - this is one of the parts that doesn't work right yet)
go to any classroom in any building (there are 43 of them), login and
access their files.

What my supervisor thinks is the best way to get LTSP adopted over a
Citrix solution is if it will work seamlessly using the authentication
credentials the students already have. In his mind, a second set of
logon credentials impairs the usefulness of the system and makes it hard
for him to propose.

Is there any way to get the terminal workstation logons to authenticate
against this 2000AD setup instead of local files? I have seen options
for authenticating over smb (and nis, ldap etc) when I have installed
systems but I haven't ever played with them.

Can this be done?

Thanks.

--
Mike Rambo