RE: [K12OSN] Dual boot to LTSP?

Hi Michael,

Here's alittle more to ponder.

> 2.  These Windows machines already received their IPs via a
> centralized DHCP server.  Assuming that we want to leave these
> machines plugged in to the existing LAN, how do we configure the
> workstations to get their DHCP numbers?  Not from the LTSP server,
> but from the LAN DHCP server, right?  If so, do we turn off DHCP
> services on the LTSP server?  How then does the workstation know to
> pull the kernel, apps, etc. via TFTP from the LTSP server?  What
> other sorts of changes need to be made to the LTSP server?
> Workstations?

I have a Win9x based DHCP server which is serving a small number of
addresses at the bottom of my IP range. I have done this  to provide
addresses SHOULD the LTSP server be offline. I couldn't configure this
server to pass PXE / BootP requests to the LTSP server (poor
documentation).

I also have DHCP running on LTSP so my terminals can boot correctly. DHCPD
allows me to specify hosts and fix IPs to mac addresses. This is very
useful. I also use Webmin to do this work.

As an aside. I use WinVNC to remote administer my DHCP server. It takes
about 30 seconds to re-enable DHCP on that server if I have it disabled.
Using Webmin allows the same thing with DHCP on the LTSP server.