Re: [K12OSN] test server suggestion

Our crew has two servers installed in an ltsp demonstration lab with 8-10
workstations. Normally only four workstations are in use. The first server
is a Compaq Deskpro Pentium-II 400 mhz cpu with 512 kb cache, 256 mb ram
and 10 gb ide hard drive. The second server is a Compaq Netserver with dual
Pentium Pro 200 mhz cpus with 256 kb cache on each, 256 mb ram and multiple
scsi drives (3 & 9 gb).

The single cpu Pentium II is faster at booting desktops and running
applications with 4-5 workstations. Not a great deal faster, but faster. It
is amazing to watch 4-5 people working away happily on thin clients served
by a box that was designed to be a personal computer. The greater cache
size and cpu speed win the day. But, since the single cpu box has a mobo
ram limit of 384 mb, its performance will degenerate as more workstations
are added.

The Compaq Netserver can handle 1 gb of ram if you are willing to pay for
high quality chips, otherwise the limit is 256 mb. The Netserver may be a
better choice with 5-10+ workstations because of the greater ram capacity,
heavy duty cooling fans, redundant power supplies and scsi drive subsystem.
But that is speculation. We've never flogged either machine with 8-10
workstations running.

Tom