RE: [K12OSN] Paceware and samba

Hi Caleb,

If it will run from NT Workstation / Server 4.0, I would expect it to run
from a SAMBA server.

Remember SAMBA emulates NT Workstation / Server 4 networking. It doesn't
run any programs.

My Windows 9x machines really do 'believe' they are connecting to M$ NT
Server.

If the program in question is a client / server application, then you will
run into problems. That's because the Server portion of the program needs
to run in a MS Windows operating system.

Here's a simple (very) analogy, I'll use a car to represent our 'network'.

The car chassis is our NOS (Network Operating System), which could be *NIX,
*NIX with SAMBA, NT Workstation or Server, NetWare and so on. It carries
the load and handles transportation. Most users won't see this part of the
car or network.

The car body is our workstation operating system, this could be *NIX, MAC
OS, NT Workstation, M$ Windoze, Mess DOS. It provides the 'environment'
that we 'travel' in over our network. This is the car driver's 'world'.

The car driver is our application, it dictates what the car does while it
is being driven.

Some little gotcha's.

I found one program that didn't like using UNC (\\<servername>\<sharename>)
paths when running from a server. It was Mozilla! So I had to install and
run it using a drive mapping W:\Mozilla\mozilla.exe

Some apps like to 'think' they are in the root directory, so you will have
to test for this. It doesn't happen all that often, but I have some that
are like that.

Some programs can run with read only access to their location on the
server, some can't. This can cause all sorts of problems, sometimes they
aren't noticeable.

Always test apps as a normal user, not as a sysadmin. This can mask
problems with permissions.

I know this doesn't address the question directly, but hope it helps.

Cheers,
Bert