Re: [K12OSN] LTSP Server with Xfree86 questions

Chris Rears wrote:

> I am knew so be patient.  I have been setting up a new LTSP (Red Hat 7.2
> version) with a thinknic as the workstation.  I also have a new Aopen 15
> monitor for the thinknic.  Anyway I have really 2 questions.
>
> 1.  I am able to get the thinknic to boot but as soon as it starts to load
> the gui it freeses with a grey screen and has a black X in the middle
> (which is the mouse cursor).  It moves with my mouse but does noe do
> anything.  If I boot it in level 3 it will boot to the prompt just fine.
> I have edited the lts.conf file as to Paul's suggestion.  I put in the
> line xserver = vesa instead of = auto, which got me the grey screen.
> (XSERVER=AUTO just displayed black.) Not sure what to do next.

Is the ltsp server itself booted to init 5 (the gui)? If you boot the
server to init 3 gdm will not be started and workstations will exhibit
_exactly_ this symptom. Not that other things may no cause this symptom
but I remember getting burned by this one as I had become accustomed to
booting servers to the CLI.

> 2.  I am a little confused as to what and how the IP's work with the 2
> nics.  eth0 is the workstation side and eth1 is the network side.  I get
> that part, but can I use 10. x.x.x private addresses on the network side
> and still comunicate with the 192.168.0.x numbers on the workstation (LAN)
> side. OR do I need to give it a class C number on the network side?  I
> would prefer not to use the DHCP on the netywork side if possible.  Also
> what files need to be edited if I change the number from the eth0 side so
> I can still dhcp the workstations?

You can use any private range of IP addresses on either side so long as
you set up all the files correctly. Check the bottom of this page...

http://k12ltsp.org/install.html

for a list of files that must be edited. We run our ltsp server at
192.168.3.0/24 which is connected to a 10.8.24.0/21 outside network.
Works fine.

You can run dhcp on the networks of your choice. If you don't want it on
eth1 just specify the eth1 network as usual in dhcpd.conf but don't
supply a range of addresses to lease. Alternatively, set up dhcpd.conf
only for eth0 and specify eth0 in the dhcpd start command (ie. dhcpd -q
eth0). The script in /etc/rc.d/init.d can be modified to accomplish the
same thing.

Hope this helps.

--
Mike Rambo