[K12OSN] a shell Brain teaser

OK experts...I have a test-station running Slackware 8.1. I know, I know,
not the friendliest distro out there...I am trying to configure the bash
prompt so that it is something useful. This is not normally a difficult
operation but here's what's happening...When I ssh into the slackware box,
the prompt shows up exactly as I have it configured. However, when I pull up
a terminal window locally(using KDE as my gui), the prompt appears
differently and I can't get it to show up the way I have it configured in
/etc/profile. All the docs I have read suggest that /etc/profile is the
global place where the prompt is set and ~/.bash_profile is the local users
place to add to that profile. I've tried adding the PS1=<my prompt> command
to my .bash_profile file to no avail. What in blue blazes am I missing? This
can't be this hard...Please help!!

Aaron

Aaron Leininger BS, MCP
Network Administrator/Webmaster/Computer Technician
Tigard High Scho
Phone: 503.431.5454
Email: aleininger ttsd k12 or us