Re: [K12OSN] a shell Brain teaser

At 01:59 PM 7/15/2002 -0700, Aaron Leininger wrote:
OK experts...I have a test-station running Slackware 8.1. I know, I know,
not the friendliest distro out there...I am trying to configure the bash
prompt so that it is something useful. This is not normally a difficult
operation but here's what's happening...When I ssh into the slackware box,
the prompt shows up exactly as I have it configured. However, when I pull up
a terminal window locally(using KDE as my gui), the prompt appears
differently and I can't get it to show up the way I have it configured in
/etc/profile. All the docs I have read suggest that /etc/profile is the
global place where the prompt is set and ~/.bash_profile is the local users
place to add to that profile. I've tried adding the PS1=<my prompt> command
to my .bash_profile file to no avail. What in blue blazes am I missing? This

try it in your /etc/bashrc or ~/.bashrc file.

Roger