Re: [K12OSN] LTSP Server with Xfree86 questions

From: "Chris Rears" <Chris_Rears ddouglas k12 or us>
To: k12osn redhat com
Subject: [K12OSN] LTSP Server with Xfree86 questions
Date: Mon, 15 Jul 2002 06:25:36 -0700

---snip---

2. I am a little confused as to what and how the IP's work with the 2 nics. eth0 is the workstation side and eth1 is the network side. I get that part, but can I use 10. x.x.x private addresses on the network side and still comunicate with the 192.168.0.x numbers on the workstation (LAN) side. OR do I need to give it a class C number on the network side? I would prefer not to use the DHCP on the netywork side if possible. Also what files need to be edited if I change the number from the eth0 side so I can still dhcp the workstations?

Thanks,

Chris Rears
Computer / Network Technician
David Douglas School District
SHOP:    (503)256-6505
PAGER: (503)790-4541

Hi Chris...I asked the same question a week or so ago. Since my LAN is 192.168.0.x-based, there was a conflict with terminals moving beyond the LTSP segment unless I changed the IP address of the LTSP segment. Thanks to Mike Rambo and Arnel Pastrana, I put together this small gouge sheet that helps me with changing the options as you described above. Some files are good as they are, others you will need to make some changes. My setup is as you describe, a static IP address on the LAN card, eth0, and serving DHCP on eth1 for LTSP clients. For example, I use 192.168.0.88 for the static IP, and 192.168.0.1 for the gateway on eth0. eth1, gets 192.168.1.1

Again, this is what I use. As a test (yes, I'm a glutton for punishment,) I reinstalled K12LTSP three times changing the IP addresses in the following files and it worked right everytime. I noticed that making eth1 static, and changing eth0 from 0.x to 1.x didn't seem to properly update the ifcfg-eth0 and eth1 files, as noted below. Hope this helps you. Pat

1. Edit the following files, changing the 0 in 192.168.0.x to something other than 0 up to 255:

/etc/exports
/etc/hosts
/etc/hosts.allow
/etc/dhcpd.conf
/etc/rc.d/init.d/nat

/opt/ltsp/i386/etc/lts.conf
/opt/ltsp/templates/k12linux/hosts-update.sh
/opt/ltsp/templates/k12linux/setup-update.sh

2. Check network-scripts for proper configuration of eth0 and eth1:

a. /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth0 should look like the following:

DEVICE=eth0
BOOTPROTO=static
IPADDR=192.168.1.254
NETMASK=255.255.255.0
NETWORK=192.168.1.0
BROADCAST=192.168.1.255
ONBOOT=yes

b. /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth1 should look something like this:

DEVICE=eth1
BOOTPROTO=static
IPADDR=192.168.0.88
NETMASK=255.255.255.0
NETWORK=192.168.0.0
BROADCAST=192.168.0.255
ONBOOT=yes

c. etc/sysconfig/network Should have the following entries:

GATEWAY=192.168.0.1
GATEWAYDEV=eth1