Re: [K12OSN] LTSP Server with Xfree86 questions

Hi Chris...

<snip>

2. I am a little confused as to what and how the IP's work with the 2
nics.  eth0 is the workstation side and eth1 is the network side.  I get
that part, but can I use 10. x.x.x private addresses on the network side
and still comunicate with the 192.168.0.x numbers on the workstation (LAN)
side. OR do I need to give it a class C number on the network side?  I
would prefer not to use the DHCP on the netywork side if possible.  Also
what files need to be edited if I change the number from the eth0 side so
I can still dhcp the workstations?

Thanks,

Chris Rears
Computer / Network Technician
David Douglas School District
SHOP:    (503)256-6505
PAGER: (503)790-4541

This might come through twice...Sorry.

I asked the same question a couple weeks ago because my LTSP segment and LAN segment both used 192.168.0.x. This created a conflict, obvously, that wouldn;t allow the LTSP client segment to get beyond the LTSP segment. Mike Rambo and Arnel PAstrana assisted me with fixing the problem. I created a gouge sheet that might help you. I noticed that chnging the default DHCP on ETH1 and chnging from 0.x to 1.x on ETH0 didn't seem to update the network scripts as described below. This sheet works for me every time. I hope it helps you. Please let me know if you have any questions. Pat

1. Edit the following files, changing the 0 in 192.168.0.x to something other than 0 up to 255:

/etc/exports
/etc/hosts
/etc/hosts.allow
/etc/dhcpd.conf
/etc/rc.d/init.d/nat

/opt/ltsp/i386/etc/lts.conf
/opt/ltsp/templates/k12linux/hosts-update.sh
/opt/ltsp/templates/k12linux/setup-update.sh

2. Check network-scripts for proper configuration of eth0 and eth1:

a. /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth0 should look like the following:

DEVICE=eth0
BOOTPROTO=static
IPADDR=192.168.1.254
NETMASK=255.255.255.0
NETWORK=192.168.1.0
BROADCAST=192.168.1.255
ONBOOT=yes

b. /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth1 should look something like this:

DEVICE=eth1
BOOTPROTO=static
IPADDR=192.168.0.88
NETMASK=255.255.255.0
NETWORK=192.168.0.0
BROADCAST=192.168.0.255
ONBOOT=yes

c. etc/sysconfig/network Should have the following entries:

GATEWAY=192.168.0.1
GATEWAYDEV=eth1