Re: [K12OSN] LTSP Server with Xfree86 questions

vcare wrote:

Hello,
Saw your post of K12, in that you mentioned that you have configured two DHCP servers,
I want to implement two LTSP / DHCP servers on same network , and my users will be segmented on these two DHCP/LTSP
servers. I have 200 users , i want first 100 to connect to one server and rest 100 users to connect to next server.
How it can be done , how the syntax works when client send a dhcp request?

Ok then. Do you want to *understand* it all, or do you just want the solution ?

DHCPd can separate allocations into classes, or pools.

A class is a description of booting-systems based on how the DHCP *client* identifies itself. For example, "Etherboot" and "PXEClient" are classes, and DHCPd can boot workstations differently
on the basis of class.

A 'pool' stanza looks like this ;

pool {

commands..

};

The pool stanza goes inside of the "shared-network" declaration.

Inside a 'pool' stanza you can ;

           "allow members of [class]"
           "deny members of [class]"
and then..
           range dynamic-bootp 192.168.0.100 192.168.0.253;

on the other server, you allow/deny members of the opposite class, and allocate a different range.

So, tell me about your *Terminals*, and then we can do some more. If they are *all* of class "PXEClient" then we cannot seperate them on this basis. We may have to class them out differently, perhaps by hardware address. I'll have a look at this.

Print out and read the DHCPd manual, and the dhcp-options manual.

$ man dhcpd | lpr
$ man dhcp-options |lpr

regards, Steve