Re: [K12OSN] Re: Authenticating mixed clients for Internet Access

Quentin Hartman wrote:

Steve et al-
It seems I may have been unclear in stating my request, for which I apologize.

8-) not at all.. ok, lets begin:

[snip,rearrange]

> I would very much like to have centralized user management. The scenario goals we are trying to achieve are:
> 1- Unrestricted user logs in. Has access to file / app servers and Internet
> 2- Semi-restricted user logs in. Has access to file / app servers, but not internet.
> 3- restricted user logs in. Has access only to local files and programs.
> 4- Unauthorized user cannot login.
> I imagine a combination of policy files for the 9x clients, samba, pam, and squid could achieve this, but I would like your feedback on
> the best way to proceed to complete this project.

... the remaining NT machine only serves to update our Norton AV corporate edition clients. There are no other services running on it, nor do we wish there to be any.

Good, that makes things a lot easier. So you have a Squid Proxy ?? This will be your "keyholder" to the Internet.

Have a look at this http://www.wizdom.org.uk/linux/squid.shtml Can we build on this ?

/sw