Re: [K12OSN] Upgrading OpenLDAP from 1.2 to 2.0.x - Help!

Oooh, that can be an exciting one ;-(

Well, "officially" you need to have a "base" OID and from there you can
add whatever you want (OID's/SNMP numbers are handed out by IANA and are
free, so it's not that big of a deal to get one, they are also
heirarchical,rather than being a set number of octets like IP's). But by
far the best option is finding a field that is already defined to do
what you want and use that schema, the odds are good that there is
something "official" for whatever it is you're doing.  Otherwise you can
usually get away with extending a number that's been assigned and using
that (but be warned things might break if you install new schemas, and I
don't think you'll get a warning, OIDs are used internally to identify
attributes and if two attributes share an OID they are identical to
OpenLDAP). I some reading on this a while back so some of it (like where
to find a list of "in use" OIDs and such) is not there, but a little
googling can tell you a lot.

--Shahms