Re: [K12OSN] Upgrading OpenLDAP from 1.2 to 2.0.x - Help!

On Tue, Jul 16, 2002 at 05:09:15PM -0700, Jeff Davis wrote:
> Has anyone been through this process?  I need to add a couple of schema
> extensions and am having trouble getting my brain around just what I need
> to do...  esp. the OID's.   Can anyone point me in a direction that can
> help me?

When you say you need to add schema extensions, do you mean you're adding
attributes that are already defined and need to know how to add them into
your config, or do you mean that you're defining your own attributes
and/or objectClasses, and don't know what to put as OIDs?

OIDs are globally-unique identifiers that are centrally managed; you
should never use an OID for something other than the purpose its owner has
declared for it.  If you need to create your own attributes and need your
own OIDs, you should apply for a (free) Enterprise Number from IANA.

You can apply for an Enterprise Number on-line at
<http://www.iana.org/cgi-bin/enterprise.pl>.  I think they say it takes
around a week to process, it took less than that for us.  I recommend that
anyone who will be working with LDAP a great deal should get an Enterprise
Number.

Cheers,
Steve Langasek
postmodern programmer