Re: [K12OSN] Rawrite bootfile to Harddsik instead of to Floppy

The answer is yes, it can be done.  And I might be in a position
to make it fairly easy to do.

I worked on an internal project (that never saw the light of day)
where I wrote and modified some code to create a floppy disk that,
when booted on a PC, installs Etherboot and MBR code to load it,
all without disturbing the partition table.  I also wrote a program
that could be executed when Linux was running on such a system to
update the version of Etherboot on the disk.

I have been working to strip out any proprietary or sensitive stuff
so that I can contribute the work to the Etherboot project.  I am
nearly done doing this, but I will need to get internal management
approval (shouldn't be a problem) before releasing.

I can't make any promises, but since there is an obvious need,
I will try to get something done by next week.  It kinda depends
on how my "real work" progresses.

-Don

Brent D. Norris wrote:
As a modification of this.  I also have some machines for a school which
are using the floppy disk.  The machines have small hard drives in them
and right now I am using that for swap and /var.  Would it be possible to
write the bootdisk image to the MBR of the drives without destroying the
partitioning and setup of the drives?

We are running LTSP on 4 schools in DK now as a test, and the schools wants
to continue to use it and more will come. Untill now they use the Floppy to
boot becasue we have not learned how to make the bootrom jet. As a solution
for the next weeks i would like to write to raw write the bootfile to the
harddisk so they can go away from the floppy. Is that possible and if yes,
how can that be done. I have Windows98 on the harddisk now and i am aware of
that everything will disapare when i do this. Can any one help with this
question

Thanks a lot

Morten Abrahamsen

Brent Norris (Net-Tech.BG-Afni) http://brentnorris.net H: 270.563.9226 W: 877.448.2364 x3021 Pager: 270.610.0002 (text message www.arch.com/message/)