[Date Prev][Date Next]   [Thread Prev][Thread Next]   [Thread Index] [Date Index] [Author Index]

Re: [K12OSN] Yet another beta build of K12LTSP 2.1.1



On Fri, 19 Jul 2002, R P Herrold wrote:

>On Thu, 18 Jul 2002, Eric Harrison wrote:
>
>> I built a new set of ISOs for the K12LTSP 2.1.1 release candidate that
>> incorporates the fix for ThinkNICs, plus the two minor updates that Red
>
>hmmm ... /me thinks -- Eric -- Are the builds scripted?  If 
>so, could they be packaged into a SRPM?  I'll help if you send 
>or point me at a tarball -- and convert any doco into POD to 
>generate man page type doco as well.

Yeah, the builds are scripted for the most part, but they can't really
be delegated. The image build process itself is fairly quick and easy,
there are lots of little details so it is best done by one person. The
hard work is in QA'ing the resulting images.

Most of the build work is done with the utilities in anaconda-runtime package.
I have a script that glues it all together. Older, but functional versions of
my scripts are on my ftp server:

  ftp://k12linux.mesd.k12.or.us/pub/devel/rawhide/scripts/

I started on a commented version of the scripts, whenever I get around to
finishing I'll upload 'em to the same place. As it is, if you can figure
out the build process you probably know enough that you could figure out
how the uncommented scripts work.

As mentioned above, the two things that are the most helpful to me are:

* Finding or building new packages that can be dropped into K12LTSP as is (or
  nearly as is). It is easy for me to add new packages, but it takes a lot of 
  work to build and maintain new packages.

* Test things out and help debug problems. Testing is by far the most
  important, since I have limited time and limited access to hardware. The
  more people who test it out, the more bugs are unearthed. I didn't notice
  the Xvesa bug in the last build, for example, because I don't have a NIC
  client handy to test with. Thanks to those brave chaps who tested out the
  last build and found that bug before we put out the final release ;-)

-Eric





[Date Prev][Date Next]   [Thread Prev][Thread Next]   [Thread Index] [Date Index] [Author Index]