Re: [K12OSN] K-12 for Business use?

On Wed, Jul 24, 2002 at 02:26:26AM -0400, lists dragonphyre com wrote:
> I have a couple of questions on K-12 Linux, if anyone has some experiacnes
> to share I would appreciate the input.

> Has anyone here used this distro in a commercial setting?  Would it be
> secure enough on the internet side of the box to keep medical applications
> and patiant information on?

In the US, the answer is almost certainly NO.  Federal regulations
regarding the storage and transport of medical records virtually preclude
connecting such a machine to the Internet at all, let alone giving it a
public IP address and running remotely accessible services on it.

> Any experiances to rate this against using the plain LTSP instead?  And not
> to be off topic but has anyone had any experiance with LTSP on Debian?
> It's hard to beat the ease of apt-get for remote upgrades from cross country.

I've not been impressed with the structuring of existing LTSP packages for
Debian, though they're not hard to find and should be ok to use until
something better comes along. :)

Steve Langasek
postmodern programmer