[K12OSN] Re: K12OSN digest, Vol 1 #311 - 9 msgs

http://www.School-Library.net
Read, Connect, Learn!

>------_=_NextPart_001_01C233FA.4BD4EC34
>
>I=92m setting up a trial K12LTSP lab here at my school, and all is going =
>well so far.  But one of the software requirements for the lab is a =
>WYSIWYG HTML editor, not just an HTML code editor or a text editor.  I =
>would like to know if anyone knows of any MSFrontpage like applications =
>out there that will run on Linux.  It definitely doesn=92t need all the =
>bells, whistles and bloat of MSFrontpage, but it needs to design pages =
>visually like frontpage.  While we try to teach basic HTML to our =
>students, many of our students will not get it, and neither will most of =
>our teachers and other staff, but they still want to be able to create =
>web pages.
>
>=20
>
>Thanks,
>
>=20
>
>Jesse Byers
>
>Network Administrator
>
>School District of Grantsburg
>
>Grantsburg, WI
>
>HYPERLINK "mailto:jbyer gk12 net"jbyer gk12 net
>
>=20

Mr. Byer,
You can use either the Mozilla or Netscrape Composer to create
pages in a wysiwig editor.
Also, OpenOffice.org 1.0 contains a wysiwig HTML editor.
For an example of a page created with OpenOffice.org,
look here :  http://baldwinets.tripod.com/persephone.htm
This is a page full of links to information and activities about
Greek Mythology that I created for my classes this past spring.
I usually just write my pages in HTML using the free from editor
Tripod provides, but decided to experiment with the OpenOffice.org tool.
The page is pretty basic, but you can create all the tables, frames, forms, etc, that you want.  It also allows you to view the html source code for the page.
It really is a nice tool for beginner webeditors.
I have also played with the Netscrape Composer and it is also
quite useful.  They both, thankfully, lack the bloat of M$Fontpave.
Tools like Quanta and Bluefish are good for those learning to code,
but are not wysiwg.
If you do not have a disstro that includes the lates OpenOffice.org builc,
let me know and I can post you a disk.  I offer it for $10.00 at http://linux.school-library.net , but will send it free for school projects until
demand outpaces my capacity to fulfill.

Anthony Baldwin
School-Library.net