[K12OSN] gnome displays differently on each PC

Hi.

-K12LTSP server is running fine.
-User "pat" successfully boots gnome on an IBM 300XL with a floppy (we'll call this PC A.)
-Shut down PC A.

The problem:

Boot a different, identical 300XL with "pat," PC B. Gnome display loses the bottom toolbar and produces the error "Application in "panel" (process 2296) has crashed due to a fatal error (segmentation fault)."
I can't get the display back properly for user "pat" until I use Dan Young's suggestion to "$ mv .gnome .gnome.old" on the server. After "fixing" the problem, I can boot into "pat" on PC B. When I go back to PC A as "pat," the display is thwacked again and will remian so until I "fix" it by deleting pat's .gnome directory. Then all is well until I boot into another PC with "pat."

What gives?

Thanks.

Pat