Re: [K12OSN] mount /dev/hda on the *terminal*

Bert Rolston wrote:

Hey Steve,

Could you send me a HOW-TO or something like that?

This looks like a very useful piece of work.

Ok, Realise though that's not complete, and you are making one BIG security hole in your terminals LOCAL LOGINS !
There are LOTS of commands missing on the Terminal that you really need to hack this, and the kernel version on the terminal is different to that on the server, therefore many libs don't work properly. So, caveat emptor ad-nauseum.

Ok, in /opt/ltsp/i386/etc/passwd

change;

root:x:0:0:root:/root:/bin/false

to;

root:x:0:0:root:/root:/bin/bash

thereby enabling root logins with no password. 8-o

Then in /opt/ltsp/i386/etc/shadow <-- you may have to create this

create a line like ;

root:$1$heapsofunintelligblejunkinhere: blahblah::: <--- deliberately munged, don't use.

hint: have a look at /etc/shadow and steal a line out of there.

CHECK THE PERMISSIONS OF THESE TWO FILES. RW for root only! 8-/ I think..

Then in /opt/ltsp/i386/etc/inittab add a line vis ;

3:2345:respawn:/sbin/mingetty tty5

and then, as root, `cp /sbin/mingetty /opt/ltsp/i386/sbin/`

and reboot the terminal and test.  Press <CTRL><ALT><F5> and you
should get "Login:"

Login as 'root'

Have a good hack at that login prompt, and make sure it's working properly. You do NOT want
folks in there as root. At least make sure "root" and <enter> (no password) does not work. 8-/

------------------------

Right, now the HDD mounting.

login to the terminal as root, then type ;

# modprobe ide-disk # modprobe ide-mod # modprobe ide-probe-mod

and you should be greeted with a little splurge from the kernel about the ide disks you have.

Now, on the server, you can create new directories in /opt/ltsp/i386/ such as /opt/ltsp/i386/var/install/win-images

and then you can do cool stuff like ;

# fdisk /dev/hda
# mke2fs /dev/hda1
# mkdir /tmp/hda1
# mount /dev/hda1 -t ext2 /tmp/hda1

If folks are thinking of using this as an "Install Server" then keep us informed.

I used it today to put "Peanut Linux" on a mates' P166. It worked like a dream. heh, boot as terminal, login to terminal, fdisk, mke2fs and `cp` the lot over.

Next I'd like to automate the whole thing..

regards, Steve