Re: [K12OSN] Load Balancing between servers

The problem with this idea is the concept of multiple, persistant connections.
When using DNS round robin in this case, it will decide at boot time which
server to use (flip a coin), and will always use the same server.  The
conditions may be right such that one server gets all the abuse, while the
other gets nothing.  (The chance may be greater than you think. If queries
happen in pairs, as they often do, you will always get the same set)  I will
assume for the moment that you dont need to use any real services that
require multi-use to the same box (ie running an SQL server or talk daemon)-
then what you really want to load balance, is when someone starts a new
process, it can migrate to the server with the lowest load.  I would recomend
using MOSIX for this, if possible. (You could even use the workstation CPU's
potentially)

If setting up MOSIX is too much work, you can always try the "chooser" method.
XDM has a chooser which brings up a menu of availible XDM server on the
network you can connect to, and will show the number of logged in users and
the load. That way people can choose for themselves.

Jay