From: k12osn-admin redhat com [mailto:k12osn-admin redhat com] On Behalf
Of Paul Nelson
Sent: Saturday, June 01, 2002 10:07 PM
To: k12osn redhat com
Subject: Re: [K12OSN] Clients not receiving IP's - 2.1.0 RC (beta8)

I"m assuming that you are sure you have the cables connected to the
right cards?

Eth0 is for the 192.168.0.x network. Eth1 gets an ip address from your
network via dhcp.

One way to test your hub/cable/network setup is to give a static address
to a known working PC on the 192.168.0.x net and see if you can ping
your server.

Another way to do this when eth1 IS using dhcp to get it's address. Just
plug in one card, bring down both cards and then only bring back up
eth1. If you have the cables right, it will come back up from your
network dhcp server.

The K12LTSP dhcpd server runs on eth0 and gives addresses only to
clients.

;-) Paul

On Fri, 2002-05-31 at 22:27, Greg Long wrote:
> I could use a direction for troubleshooting:
>
> stock K12LTSP 2.1.0 BETA8 (release candidate) install...eth0 and eth1
> start OK during server boot.  I can login as root, startx and browse
> up a storm through eth1.  I can't seem to get either of 2 test clients

> to connect.  Only non-default option selected was "no firewall" during

> install
>
> tail -f /var/log/messages shows no reference to client requests for
> IP's or issuance of.  I should add that all default services with the
> install, including dhcpd startup OK.
>
> Hardware:
>
> Server:
> 	Abit KT7A-RAID socket A motherboard
> 	AMD Athalon Thunderbird 1.2ghz CPU
> 	512mb PC133 DRAM
> 	(2) 3C905B-TX PCI 10/100 Ethernet NIC's
>
> Client1:
> 	IBM A30 Thinkpad, built in NIC (works like a champ on the LAN,
> there's a BIOS option to Network boot which I select for this test)
>
> Client2:
> 	Gigabyte socket7
> 	500mhz AMD k6-2
> 	128mb PC100 DRAM
> 	(1) Davicom 9102
> 	boot floppy for above courtesy of http://www.rom-o-matic.net/ -
> detects card successfully and outputs dots "." seeking a DHCP server.
>
> cabling - pretty basic cat5/RJ45 - I should add it works well on our
> home network in other OS's :)  Generic 8-port 10bT hub - also does the

> job fine for a small LAN that we share our internet connection among a

> few boxes in the house.
>
> Since the failure is pretty early,  and in this stock install DHCP is
> running, I'm not sure where to proceed.  I know the 3C905B-TX which is

> eht0 works, as it too has been used.  In case it just failed or
> something is up with it, I could try swapping them, although it seems
> it wouldn't do any good in the same box since the OS identifies them
> by their MAC address. I can try swapping the Davicom in the k6-500 box

> with one still. I did try moving eth0 from one PCI slot to another to
> no avail.
>
> Suggestions?  I want to get this going before I build the server for
> the local district.
>

> Greg Long
> http://www.maneuveringspeed.com/

Paul Nelson................... pnelson riverdale k12 or us Riverdale
School, 11733 SW Breyman Ave, Portland, OR 97219 school
(503)636-4511.....................fax (503)635-6342 Riverdale Web
Page......... http://www.riverdale.k12.or.us