Re: [K12OSN] 6.2.4.2. Checking for iptables

On Sat, 1 Jun 2002, Greg Long wrote:

> Well, I have narrowed down the problem:
>

> [root server root]# iptables -L -v
> /lib/modules/2.4.18-3/kernel/net/ipv4/netfilter/ip_tables.o:
> init_module: Device or resource busy

> Again on the stock 2.1.0 install - BETA8.
>
> Soo...what could cause iptables not to be set up right? I notice the IP

If a set of ipchains rules have started to load -- even just
the module, this will cause a subsequent iptables set to fail
-- they are inconsistent, and the first ip* service to load
'wins' -- I'd ask that you turn off the ipchains service
forst, and using 'setup' disable it as well for your runlevel.

Then try the    service iptables start  and all should work.

(This is part of a compatability layer, documented in the
README accompanying the RH 7.2 distribution.)

-- Russ herrold)