[K12OSN] Scenario Distributions

Well I gave a shot at setting up K12LTFS this past weekend and ran into a few minor hardware conflictions (nothing major) needless to say I got it up and running with 2 clients without much of a problem.

(Just testing out right now).

Great default setup thus far, however, I was curious if anybody has put out their own custom distribution. I simply think it would be nice to see a few different types of distro's released depending on a certain school's scenario for examples as well as easily setting things up from scratch. I would be more than happy to do this myself (although I do not have the best administration knowledge when it comes to Linux), it will just take a bit of learning. Reason being, I want to setup a version of K12LTFS that is a bit more "strict".

My general plan is to setup first, a lab in our library where it will be open to all students in our school (Morris Catholic High School which is a Private Christian High School grades 9-12 in New Jersey) can go into the Library and surf the net for school work as well as use OpenOffice for reports and such. What I have been doing is only installing Gnome as well as only the Mozilla 1.0 RC 3 internet Browser (I found that if I put too many applications it confuses people and this is good when it is a computer someone will use daily but I do not want students fooling around with all the software on a computer). Also, I am working on getting our grades setup online so that our faculty can type in grades / attendance and such and this is being restricted so they can only input this information in the Library under their user name (restricted by IP address due to the fact that I can see a password being given away to a student somehow and if grades are changed by a student I am to blame).

This will most likely be done using 1 server and under 10 clients or perhaps even 20 clients with 2 servers (depending on specs of the servers). The second scenario I plan to setup is for our Music Department.

We have courses that are expanding where the students in our Music department are going to be studying a lot of history of music etc.... where the Internet would be a great tool to have in the Music room as well as being able to have applications that are related to this. (Generally I will simply have different suites of music for each lab that this is setup in).

The next major thing which I could really use input on (hopefully someone has done something similar) is redoing our programming computer class lab. They currently have approximately 20 computers and teach Basic, C/C++, and Java. They currently are using Windows 98 for this class and it would be a dream come true if I can get a distro setup that has the proper compilers that would be familiar to things they are currently using for the course (compiler is a compiler if you ask me though). Students in this class tend to abuse the computers quite a bit since they fool around a lot and I cannot restrict them too much since they need to execute a lot of software in this course that they are compiling. Setting it up as a Terminal Client/Server would help where they can execute anything (i hope) and not be able to change anything that would screw up the computers (it is currently a nightmare to administrate the class).

Any help is truely appreciated!

Jason Leydon
jleydon morriscatholic com
Director of Technology