[K12OSN] Upgrade from 1.0 to new distro

I have a tweaked k12ltsp 1.0 network running. What is the best upgrade
strategy to 2.x?

Of course I don't want to break anything -- the network is in use. And
useage will increase dramatically this month.

I suppose the safest upgrade route is to add a second server and install
the new distro on that. Later, when things look solid on the new server, I
can "gracefully" make the switch to the new box. But this solution requires
the outlay of money. Don't want to do that.

Tom
tbrown michiana org