RE: [K12OSN] Scenario Distributions

Hi Jason,

Bert from beautiful New Zealand here.

Most of the restrictions can be achieved by using groups. I'm in the
process of doing this.

I'm rolling out a combination of Linux terminal sessions, Linux / Win4Lin
sessions and some Win9x boxes will connect to the server using SAMBA.

In KDE you can even allocate menu options by groups, because they are items
within the directory structure.

Here's part of the message to Warwick Chapman about a month ago on locking
down KDE desktops to almost nothing.

For a quick and dirty desktop lockdown try this.

==============

Make a backup of the follwing file

/home/<username>/.kde/share/config/kickerrc

It's a plain text file.

==============

To limit access to taskbar items

NB - DON'T do this while the user is logged in. You WILL mess up kickerrc.
It gives some interesting results! :-)

1)	Open /home/<username>/.kde/share/config/kickerrc in TEXT EDITOR

2)	Read through the file and get an idea of what each applet and button
does. Note the names.

3)	In the [General] section there is a line which loads applets and
buttons. It should be the first line.

4)	Delete any applets / buttons you don't want the users to access. NB You
can't comment / REM  these out. KDE 	does some writing back to the file
during each login / logout.

5)	Test the user login, to check results of your handywork.

I've tried to removed the taskbar completely, but haven't been able to.
Perhaps releteing the kickerrc file will do that. Logging out becomes a
problem if you do this.

I haven't been able to remove the clipboard or calendar either. They aren't
a problem, so I'm not too worried.

A positive side effect is an improvement login speed. KDE isn't loading any
applets.

==============

Then I deleted the CD and Floppy disk icons. You can't do this for the
Trash Can, it keeps getting resurrected!

Here are the kickerrc files, before and after modification

On Monday, June 03, 2002 10:52 AM, Jason Leydon
[SMTP:jleydon morriscatholic com] wrote:
> Well I gave a shot at setting up K12LTFS this past weekend and ran into
> a few minor hardware conflictions (nothing major) needless to say I got
> it up and running with 2 clients without much of a problem.
>
> (Just testing out right now).
>
> Great default setup thus far, however, I was curious if anybody has put
> out their own custom distribution.  I simply think it would be nice to
> see a few different types of distro's released depending on a certain
> school's scenario for examples as well as easily setting things up from
> scratch.  I would be more than happy to do this myself (although I do
> not have the best administration knowledge when it comes to Linux), it
> will just take a bit of learning.  Reason being, I want to setup a
> version of K12LTFS that is a bit more "strict".
>
> My general plan is to setup first, a lab in our library where it will be
> open to all students in our school (Morris Catholic High School which is
> a Private Christian High School grades 9-12 in New Jersey) can go into
> the Library and surf the net for school work as well as use OpenOffice
> for reports and such.  What I have been doing is only installing Gnome
> as well as only the Mozilla 1.0 RC 3 internet Browser (I found that if I
> put too many applications it confuses people and this is good when it is
> a computer someone will use daily but I do not want students fooling
> around with all the software on a computer).  Also, I am working on
> getting our grades setup online so that our faculty can type in grades /
> attendance and such and this is being restricted so they can only input
> this information in the Library under their user name (restricted by IP
> address due to the fact that I can see a password being given away to a
> student somehow and if grades are changed by a student I am to blame).
>
> This will most likely be done using 1 server and under 10 clients or
> perhaps even 20 clients with 2 servers (depending on specs of the
> servers).  The second scenario I plan to setup is for our Music
Department.