RE: [K12OSN] Win4Lin -- Wine Question

Hi Jason,

Bert here.

Answers below.

> Well, curious on what is the major difference (have not really messed
> with either).

Win4Lin runs Win9x & 2000 as a program inside linux, almost bu t not quite
the same as VMWare which creates a virtual machine.

Win4Lin does have some limitations, mainly with ActiveX stuff. For running
MS programs and some multimedia it's fine.
More info on Win4Lin can be obtained from
http://www.netraverse.com

WINE runs native Linux code to "translate" Win9x calls to Linux. A really
good description of how WINE works can be found at
http://www.winehq.org

> The 79$ (I think that is the price) for Win4Lin is definately a steal
> for what it does but was curious why not use Wine (not too sure on how
> well either work I am afraid since I am just implementing Linux in the
> school with K12LTSP).

There are two versions of Win4Lin, single user and server version.

Pricing varies. Check this out on their website. Kirk Rheinlander has some
experience with setting the server version up, and managed to get good
pricing from Netraverse.

 > Main use of Win4lin is because of our Encyclopedia software, Library
> Software Database, and for some other software we will end up using (in
> the long run we might no longer use it but it would be worth it to start
> with I think).

That is my strategy. Use Win4Lin to transition from Win9x to Linux. We do
have some programs which require Windows.

> Also, for Win4Lin what is the copyright on it if someone knows.  If you
> set it up with Terminal Clients, do you have to pay for each client or
> just the one computer it is on.
> ie. If I have Two Computers running K12LTSP and 10 clients on each, do I
> purchase two copies of Win4Lin?

Win4Lin is a commercial product. You pay per seat. The server version works
better per seat for larger numbers ( I haven't done a break even analysis,
we needed 50 seats).

I am extremely impressed with it. I have found Win98 in Win4Lin to be more
stable than Win98 on a stand alone machine

> Jason Leydon

Cheers,
Bert