[K12OSN] gray screen in X

We started experimenting with LTSP a week or so ago. I had at first
installed the packages direct from LTSP and had that up and running. Then,
because of a post on our local LUG list, we discovered LTSP from K12OS. I
have down loaded version 2.0.2 (and discovered this morning that 2.1.0 is
now out ;^o) but am having trouble getting a display manager to come up.
We can boot a workstation without error to the CLI. sh /tmp/start_ws
results in a gray X screen with the X mouse cursor but nothing more. CTRL
ALT BKSPC kills the screen ok - no errors are observed when I return to
CLI. The XFree...log doesn't reveal anything either.

Any ideas what I may have done wrong here? I'd include some of the configs
if I knew which ones would help. When I did the install I changed the IP
structure from the default. I've made corresponding changes to all the
config files (hosts, exports, DNS, DHCP, lts.conf etc.) I can find by
using grep in recursive mode for the string '192.168'.

What have I missed?

Thanks.

Mike Rambo
Lansing Public Schools