Re: [K12OSN] StarOffice 6 and mixing "paid for programs" into K12LTSP

Long post - - sorry. FYI Apples Open Source Streaming video server DSS4 for Redhat 7.1 - - sweet and easy. www.quicktime.com | products |

Thanks James for the rsync info - - good article minus the XP stuff. Nicholas makes some attractive points. rsync, yet another cool tool.

Concerning StarOffice and OpenOffice, my angle...
Don't get me wrong...free is sweet, but developers can only live on pizza and their wish list at amazon.com for so long. I don't mind paying a reasonable amount or supporting good software. That's part of my bit** with MS. Their software is popular, not the best technology. If we show developers that there is a little money (NOT SLA 3.0 MS!!!) to be made then maybe they will develop and support Linux. Look at the number of Win4Lin posts...people still want MS apps. Adobe had a beta program called "FrameMaker" ??? a PageMaker for Linux, it was OK. I thought "WOW Adode is backing Linux"...that went away. Corel sold CorelDraw to Xandros...any release date? Although I guess CorelPhotoPaint 9 works under wine and LTSP. To many people out there still associate "free" with garbage. - -They have never used GIMP or Apache or OpenOffice :) - - They hear "free" and think "what's wrong with it." These are the hurdles we need to jump. There have been a couple posts concerning document and presentations to sway boards of educations and teacher to use Linux and K12LTSP. I would like to help.

Teachers leaving for Summer have a nice one, Tech people getting ready for Summer in the district getting ready for next year...I hear you.

Tom V.

My philosophy [in a production environment] is, if it does what you need
it to do--stick with what works (that goes along with "if it ain't broke
don't fix it").  OpenOffice is a very good product.  I'm not sure what
the value added would be in moving to none-OSS StarOffice at this point...

If you aren't using rsync, you are *really* missing out on a rockin' tool.
Here's a nice article that I found interesting on the benefits of that
excellent tool:

http://www.linuxworld.com/site-stories/2002/0108.rsync.html

James

----- Original Message ----- From: <aust_txv ACCESS-K12 org> To: <k12osn redhat com> Sent: Monday, June 03, 2002 7:13 AM Subject: [K12OSN] StarOffice 6 and mixing "paid for programs" into K12LTSP

Greetings,

In the technology department I was always a "you get what you pay for"
type.
Then Linux hit me with Slackware 3.0 a few years ago and that entire mind
set evporated.  On to the questions;

Has anyone installed SunStar Office into K12LTSP yet ?  Being a user of
OpenOffice is it worth the switch ?  I am looking for a little name
recognition here in my move away from MS.  I have many teachers who love
"the manual " for a given product...they will even purchase it
themselves, I am leaning towards  Sun because I imagine Sun and other
publishers will release texts ?

Second, ISO's  . I have a two CD set I purchased from Paul.  Worth about
a $million$ but at $15 quite the deal.  Place the iso's on a linux box,
rsync
them, burn'em ? That simple to get the new version of K12LTSP ?

Thanks, please tear into the above - - - -June 30th is almost here.

Tom Ventresco

These are exciting times...