Re: [K12OSN] Dual LTSP Boot ideas needed

William Tihen wrote:

> On Tue, 2002-06-04 at 19:58, Guy Lessard wrote:
> > The same holds true for Etherboot (bootp) from the rom-o-matic site, you get a
> > chance to Network or local boot.
> >
> good news!  Is there a preferred local boot?  I was thinking possibly
> CDs and avoiding the HDs.  Is this realistic or too slow?

I've used a SuperRescue CD, it isn't fast.  But the real problem is that
you would need to customize any bootable CD to have the apps and such that
you need, along with the init scripts for things like NIS or whatever for
login authentication.  I know there are tools to help set up something
like this, but I have yet to find anything I would consider "easy".  Also,
these bootable CDs seem to typically use hefty RAM disks, since the CD
can't be used for filesystems that need to be writable, thus increasing
the minimum HW requirements for your clients.

My personal recommendation--if you go the net/local boot route, use
the hard disks.

-Don

--
Don Christensen       Senior Software Development Engineer
djc cisco com         Cisco Systems, Santa Cruz, CA