From: k12osn-admin redhat com [mailto:k12osn-admin redhat com]On Behalf
Of David Trask
Sent: Wednesday, June 05, 2002 2:19 PM
To: k12osn redhat com
Cc: k12osn redhat com
Subject: Re: [K12OSN] Squidguard

k12osn redhat com writes:
>How effective do you find squidguard to be in blocking adult sites or
>content?  I tried it earlier this year and it seemed to allow a lot of
>things through.  I ended up installing dansguardian.  It seems to block a
>lot more, but I am still trying to tune the filter to prevent blocking of
>sites we are willing to accept.  We are in a charter elementary school
>for behaviorally disturbed children operated by a social service agency
>and are especially concerned about what content is appropriate.
>
>Does anyone have any comments on experiences with squidguard or
>dansguardian?

I use DG.  I too found SquidGuard let way too much through.  I've been
running DG now for a couple months after having been running N2H2's Bess
for a year....not one complaint.  I love the control too.  I'm running an
E-Smith server www.e-smith.org for my proxy and filter....there is a
module you can install to administer DG....sorta' like Webmin, but a whole
lot easier.  www.dungog.net/sme   for more info.   The developer charges
for it, but it's worth the $$$.  I was running DG on an RH server, but
then I found the E-Smith install with the DG module from Stephen
Noble....it's much easier.  I timed myself....it took me 16 miutes to
start from a bare hard drive...until I had a fully operational
proxy/filter.

David N. Trask
Technology Teacher/Coordinator
Vassalboro Community School